Transportation is an act of carrying goods or people from one place to another. A vehicle that is available and makes transportation possible is known as means of transportation. The development of transportation reflects the overall status of a country. A good transportation system is necessary in order to develop other infrastructures of development. It is the backbone of the socio-economic development of a country. If the transportation system is available, then the industries can import raw materials and supply manufactured goods easily in the market, farmers can sell their products and improve their financial condition, and human relation and cooperation also get improved. In the lack of the transportation, all such activities become difficult and the overall development of the country is obstructed.
Road transportation is the cheaper and suitable means of transportation for the common people of Nepal. Air service is expensive for them. Besides roadways and airways, ropeways and railways are also in operation in Nepal but they are not common. The development of road network is also difficult and more expensive in the hilly and mountain regions. Some of highways are constructed with the foreign assistance. Tribhuvan highway is the oldest highway in Nepal which was constructed in the assistance of India in 2013 BS. Transportation is means of economic development, deliverance of public service and social unification. It can contribute largely to reduce regional disparity, accelerate economic activities and develop other sectors as well. Though road transportation is taken as main means of transportation, there is also possibility of getting advantages from the development of airways, railways, waterways, ropeways, etc. The current Fifteenth Plan (2076/77-2080/81) has made the following strategies for the development of transportation in Nepal:
- Develop road network along with modern structures like fast-track, underground passage and viaduct,
- Utilize modern technology for the development of institutional capacity,
- Collect alternative source of investment to lessen the dependency on traditional government source,
- Focus on the use of modern technology and mechanization for road design, construction, maintenance and safety,
- Minimize the effect or loss from the possible natural disaster and adverse climate.
- Encourage partnership and collaboration between government and private sector in the construction, development and management of air-infrastructures,
- Make air service more secured, qualitative and reliable by maximum utilization of new technology and following international criteria regarding security,
- Strengthen aviation authorities,
- Make air service accessible,
- Extend air service to the international market.
- Identify national need of rail service by its feasibility study, develop and extend it,
- Improve institutional efficiency of rail department,
- Promote alternative source of investment in the development of railways infrastructure and its operation.
- Develop and extend waterways for the domestic service and access upto sea,
- Attract private and other investment for the development of waterways service,
So, given information shows the development of Transportation in Nepal. Nepal Government is giving their best to develop but due to some problems the result are not so good.
For more informative blogs and travel guides connect with us. You can found lots of free as well as paid travel guides, news, and informative blogs.. If you have any queries regarding travel you can comment us or join on chat section or you can also mail us.